Myths and Realities of Campaign Finance: Lessons for Reform
Economist Jeff Milyo begins this talk debunking popular notions of campaign finance with the following true/false quiz:
True or False?
- It is illegal for corporations to contribute to federal candidates.
- It is illegal for unions to contribute to federal candidates.
- In the 2010 election cycle, the Democratic Party spent more than the Republican Party in federal races.
- In the 2010 election cycle, political action committees (PACs) gave more to Democrats in federal races.
- Corporate PACs gave more to federal candidates than labor PACs.
Milyo shows that people are systematically misinformed about campaign finance, and sheds light on a number of important matters relating to elections, political spending, and the effect of one on the other. This talk was given in Columbia on Nov. 1, 2010 — the day before election day.